Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 111
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
    Howdy!
    I'm camping this year, and the guide above says

"Outdoor Camping

There is loads of room for camping, we have a dedicated field and a area behind the venue."

But can I have some more specifics please? Which field - cos there's a few. Is it possible to have a little map of 'camp here' cos I think it's a bit ambiguous otherwise.

Ta muchly xx
    Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post
    Hi Ruth we normally only find out when we get to the event for setup as to which field we are meant to use. We have been told in the past to camp in different places due to some land flooded and other events / campers on the site.
    Camping is located in the middle field where it was last year.

PLEASE DRIVE EXTREMELY SLOW TO IT, AS THE GROUND IS A LITTLE MUDDY DUE TO RAIN ON THE RACECOURSE PATH.

0 Not allowed!
    Steam: spiked90 Origin: Murtymurt
    All your base are belong to us
    WCG China 2012 World of tanks
    I36 - I58
    StratLAN Summer Party 2012 - Winter Strat 2015

Staff From Summer Stratlan 2015 onwards
    Coming up..... Stratlans, I series no more.

pff, my watch is 8K HDR Christopher's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 190
    Bump for updates / corrections where relevant? E.g. Indoor camping, amenities etc.

0 Not allowed!

Have LANbox will travel dexdiner's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 373
    Given: 163
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Bump for updates / corrections where relevant? E.g. Indoor camping, amenities etc.
    I don't know what you're expecting. StratLAN is not Insomnia, it's not even close in terms of type of event or scale.

Insomnia is the biggest Gaming Festival in the UK with big stages, celebrities, expo.

StratLAN is more like your local LAN party, except it's for under 200 bodies and has showers. Everything needed to support StratLAN (gaming rooms, social/games rooms, sleeping, outdoor camping, parking) would fit into one corner of the smallest hall at The NEC.

Oh yeah, it has a walk-in fridge

0 Not allowed!
    I always look this good in the morning, what's your excuse?
    Warning - may contain traces of nuts!!!
    I come for the banter and stay for the trolls.

Insomnias: i51 (cherry popped), i54, i55, i56, i57, i58, i59, 2017 (having a KitKat)
    StratLANs: xmas '12, summer '13, xmas '13, summer '14, xmas '14, summer '15, xmas '15, summer '16, xmas '16, summer '17, xmas '17 (planned)

That Infra Guy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 51
    UPDATE:

You get 3ft of desk, a single power socket and a single ethernet socket, a roof over your head (which /occasionally/ leaks) and if you're lucky a rectangle of space on the floor to put a camp-bed or inflatable mattress to sleep on.

You can choose to camp, camping will be somewhere on the racecourse, walkable.

There are showers, which sometimes cost 50p, and sometimes are free.

There are toilets which will invariably run out of loo-roll before the end of the weekend, and some will have to be closed due to defilement or containment breaches

There will be chilling facilities to keep beer and food refrigerated. A microwave or two, and a hot water dispenser, but no other cooking facilities. (Justeat covers the area)

There is literally bugger all else. No expo, no exhibitors. If you want it, and it's not listed above, you bring it yourself.

0 Not allowed!
    i42 (spec), i43, i44, i46, i47, i49, i50, i51 (Exhibitor!), i52, i53, Season ticket holder for i54, i55, i56. Season ticket holder for i57, i58 and i59. Season ticket for i60-61. Network Nerd for many Stratlans. Proud founder of Milk Club (tm)

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkonH View Post
    UPDATE:
    They're free. The money/token machines have been replaced by a simple valve you can operate by yourself. The racecourse were carrying out this change this during summer SLAN. I like it because I no longer need to worry about having enough change, the shower switching off early or having to wait for the shower to switch off before getting dried.

0 Not allowed!

Insomnias: i51 (cherry popped), i54, i55, i56, i57, i58, i59, 2017 (having a KitKat)
    StratLANs: xmas '12, summer '13, xmas '13, summer '14, xmas '14, summer '15, xmas '15, summer '16, xmas '16, summer '17, xmas '17 (planned)

Classy Spycrab Troll Hero Henners's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,701
    Given: 218
    But please dont try and bring an enormous expo hall full of stands and kids. We'd have nowhere to put it

0 Not allowed!
    My views are extremely unlikely to coincide exactly with those of MPUK.

pff, my watch is 8K HDR Christopher's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 190
    Quote Originally Posted by dexdiner View Post
    I don't know what you're expecting.
    You had me at "not insomnia" (don't worry, I'm familiar with real LANs) -- just from reading through this thread from the very start there's a lot of info which might now be out of date or not always accurate (indoor camping etc, does grandstand mean indoor grandstand building or .... on the grandstand steps? )

If indoor camping is first-come-first-served, I just don't want to presume there'll be space and turn up to find a full room Camped at Newbury but at other lans have been spoiled by indoor sleeping.

Showers was useful info and it's good to know there's a fridge. Microwave & hot water also available I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by ArkonH View Post
    UPDATE:

You get 3ft of desk, a single power socket and a single ethernet socket, a roof over your head (which /occasionally/ leaks) and if you're lucky a rectangle of space on the floor to put a camp-bed or inflatable mattress to sleep on.

You can choose to camp, camping will be somewhere on the racecourse, walkable.

There are toilets which will invariably run out of loo-roll before the end of the weekend, and some will have to be closed due to defilement or containment breaches

There will be chilling facilities to keep beer and food refrigerated. A microwave or two, and a hot water dispenser, but no other cooking facilities. (Justeat covers the area)

There is literally bugger all else. No expo, no exhibitors. If you want it, and it's not listed above, you bring it yourself.

Boom, this.

The only real unresolved questions I have now are:

* there was mention of a £48 all-in food agreement at a previous LAN (at least on the forum), did this ever happen / will happen again?
    * There's PC+monitor rental listed on TTF shop, but what about monitor only rental? I have a great PC but I use a 32" screen, I can't face ripping up my home setup and bringing that, and I would be ostracised instantly by my desk neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by Henners View Post
    But please dont try and bring an enormous expo hall full of stands and kids. We'd have nowhere to put it
    Is there space for my foam sword though

0 Not allowed!
    A bunch of LANSe events in the long long ago - then iLite, i51, i52, i54, i57
    TS/IRC: Synergist, ICQ: 97642307
    There is one, lanportal.multiplay.com, and it has been on the desk sheet for the last couple of events iirc!

That Infra Guy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 51
    * there was mention of a £48 all-in food agreement at a previous LAN (at least on the forum), did this ever happen / will happen again?
    It's highly likely the Xmas StraLAN will have some form of professional on-site catering available in some form. the details are still being worked on, but no doubt there will be an announcement "soon" (tm)

* There's PC+monitor rental listed on TTF shop, but what about monitor only rental? I have a great PC but I use a 32" screen, I can't face ripping up my home setup and bringing that, and I would be ostracised instantly by my desk neighbours.
    It's probable this can be done, but would need to be answered by Geo himself. He has been paged.

0 Not allowed!
    i42 (spec), i43, i44, i46, i47, i49, i50, i51 (Exhibitor!), i52, i53, Season ticket holder for i54, i55, i56. Season ticket holder for i57, i58 and i59. Season ticket for i60-61. Network Nerd for many Stratlans. Proud founder of Milk Club (tm)

Thumbs Up
    You had me at "not insomnia" (don't worry, I'm familiar with real LANs) -- just from reading through this thread from the very start there's a lot of info which might now be out of date or not always accurate (indoor camping etc, does grandstand mean indoor grandstand building or .... on the grandstand steps? )

If indoor camping is first-come-first-served, I just don't want to presume there'll be space and turn up to find a full room Camped at Newbury but at other lans have been spoiled by indoor sleeping.
    Grandstand is indoor sleeping, NOT camping. We only find out what areas we can use when we get there. Upstairs is fronted by a lovely big window and has no privacy at all. It is first come first served for bedding down.

The only real unresolved questions I have now are:

We had catering that did breakfast at summer SLAN. What you're talking about is planned for this Christmas.

Get your tape measure out and measure the width of your screen. You get 36" desk width. All screens are measure across their diagonal which puts your screen's internal dimensions at 25.6" wide by 19.2" high, plus the thickness of the bezel.

BTW, I normally take a 28" screen and I don't thinks it's the biggest there.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 111
    I think most of the questions you have asked have been answered, but if there is anymore please post them and i'll do my best to reply.

0 Not allowed!
    Steam: spiked90 Origin: Murtymurt
    All your base are belong to us
    WCG China 2012 World of tanks
    I36 - I58
    StratLAN Summer Party 2012 - Winter Strat 2015

Staff From Summer Stratlan 2015 onwards
    Coming up..... Stratlans, I series no more.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information