Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TNT

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

TNT

Hello! I just wanted to say thanks for having such nice affordable minecraft servers and i had ONE question.....

I for the life of me can't seem to find anything regarding TNT. As it is a rather laggy item i don't tend to use much of it. But due to bugs and other things people can amass it and i was wondering...

Are there any rules or guidelines to setting off a LOT of TNT at once?

0 Not allowed!

Banned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 66
    Setting off alot of TNT at once really does affect the continuity of your world and server performance (trust me, we've tested this ).

I'd advise against using it rarely, if at all. There is a semi-addon to llamacraft called 'TNT Nerf' which disables it completely, if you definitely don't need it, i'd recommend this.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Well we do use TNT for things and i do know of llamacrafts TNT nerf but thanks for the heads up that it hurts the performance of these servers too ill keep my maximum of 7 TNT per explosion rule then.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 560
    Given: 519
    Just a heads up on how to use TNT effectively.

TNT tends to only crash the server when *YOU* trigger it, or if its very closely packed, or if you affect a lot of water/lava at the same time (i.e. blast under a lake). It causes all sorts of issues with the local client communications and can make everything fall over.
    I have found an upper limit of client side detonations to be in the region of a few hundred blocks of TNT before things start getting iffy.

A work around for this is to use a "remote trigger".

Remote Blasting 101

Use /setwarp to create a nice viewpoint of your blast area. Then go down to where you want to blast.

What you do is you setup your TNT in a 5x5 grid (something like this)
    Code:
    TTTTTTTTTTT
    TOOOOTOOOOT
    TOOOOTOOOOT
    TOOOOTOOOOT
    TTTTTTTTTTT
    Where T = TNT and O = other existing blocks like dirt and stone.

You can repeat this pattern as much as you like. For example i have made a version of this where the corners extend as pilars down to bedrock : eg

Then what you do is create a "cup" sat on the top of the tnt. i.e. a few blocks of TNT arranged like this
    Code:
    TAAAAT
    TAAAAT
    TTTTTT
    Where T = TNT and A = air

Then place a few blocks of LAVA into the cup, until theres a little pool (do this quickly) then use /warp to get to the viewpoint setup earlier.

Now you wait, usually about 20 seconds, while the lava ignites the TNT. Then once it does you will see blocks disappear as you get chunk updates from the server. Because all the blasting is done server side your client wont slow down at all and its all good.

I have happily detonated 2500+ block blasts without *ANY* issues using this method.

Note: Using "red dust" as a remote trigger *DOES NOT WORK* like this. "red dust" triggered TNT is considered to be triggered by YOUR client and thus will happen on your machine the same as if you triggered it personally, not the server.

Note2: The massive crater in the above images was "man made" using columns of TNT. I think we have probably set off in the region of 30k TNT there now.

Note3: If the lava pool is touching the skybox (i.e. at the upper build limit) it will not trigger the TNT. You need to have a few air blocks above the TNT/Lava for it to trigger properly.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by WhiteKnight; 27th October 2010 at 10:36.
    WhiteKnight - iLive HD, LanWar, MPUK Achievements, MuNTAS, and other video content.
    E-Mail: whiteknight at multiplay.co.uk

Get DigiGuide, the best TV guide

The views expressed above are those of the poster and not those of Multiplay UK.

Thumbs Up
    Today i have learned something so today was not a waste! For this sir i thank you. *goes to blow up stuff up like its 4th of july*

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Celebrate the independence of your country by blowing up a small part of it </simpsons>

0 Not allowed!
    WhiteKnight - iLive HD, LanWar, MPUK Achievements, MuNTAS, and other video content.

The views expressed above are those of the poster and not those of Multiplay UK.

Sporting a Shedboy beard
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 66
    impressive hole!

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 17
    Quote Originally Posted by mounty View Post
    impressive hole!
    HAHAHA

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Heres a 3000 block test detonation we did this evening

[youtube]yJIzWmKEvJw[/youtube]

3 rows, 5 tunnels wide, 200 blocks long (i said 128 in the video, but it was actually 200)

Spaced about 4 x 4 blocks apart.

Edit: If you look at about 0:54, you can see the layout of the tunnels as the ground above is removed.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by WhiteKnight; 28th October 2010 at 14:38. Reason: Video observation

Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 35
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
    Heres a 3000 block test detonation we did this evening

3 rows, 5 tunnels wide, 200 blocks long (i said 128 in the video, but it was actually 200)

Spaced about 4 x 4 blocks apart.

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information