Join Multiplay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

Question What is the indoor camping like?

Hiya,

It might be an odd question but i was worried of the thought it was only indoor camping in the new arena.

Can anyone tell me what it is like? how is it set up?, what does it look like? do people bring tents or sleep on the floor in the open?

I am not sure i feel comfortable if its just a free for all in a giant room.

I appreciate any info, as i would love to go to the next LAN and i cant afford hotels or even be lucky to book cheap ones in time lol

0 Not allowed!
    Must play more games...no shiny distractions!
    https://twitter.com/Oukanna
    Next LAN will be awesome LAN...though every LAN will be an awesome LAN :D

Have LANbox will travel dexdiner's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 373
    Given: 165
    Not too bad.

It's a mixture of popup tents and camp beds. There was talk about segregating them at some point but we're all mixed in together. The MPUK crew are the only ones who are segregated.

Layout-wise, we're only using 1/3 of the hall. When you get there, it's just the outdoor camping at previous events, first come first served.

The showers are a teething problem, some of them couldn't drain.

The toilets are close enough and clean. Must remember a plug next time as the sinks have no plugs.

Lighting - this is turned off during the night ~11pm to sometime after ~7am.

Heating - I'm finding it incredibly hot and sticky in my tent. I'm not sure if it's air-con or heaters that are running.

As ever - bring ear plugs.

0 Not allowed!
    I always look this good in the morning, what's your excuse?
    Warning - may contain traces of nuts!!!
    I come for the banter and stay for the trolls.

Insomnias: i51 (cherry popped), i54, i55, i56, i57, i58, i59, 2017 (having a KitKat)
    StratLANs: xmas '12, summer '13, xmas '13, summer '14, xmas '14, summer '15, xmas '15, summer '16, xmas '16, summer '17, xmas '17 (planned)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    for £20. cant complain.

seems to be a free for all with no actual size limitations as some guys have massive gazebos that probably go over the allocated size allotments but who really cares as, ye, only 1/3 of the hall is actually filled. probably something to do with health and safety though..

Ventilation makes a racket and the door alarm beep every 15-20 seconds was disturbing at first but sheer tiredness kicks in after a while. failing that bring ear plugs

shower was always warm but does fail to drain after copious amounts of purple dyed emo hair

0 Not allowed!

All the Community Games! Event Crew! Ragonz's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 347
    Given: 16
    The staff area is lovely

Echo'ing what others have said though

Space: You get 2m by 2.5m to do with what you want (I built a lan fort) so you can bring a tent, sleep in the open on a airbed/campbed or build a fort as I have done

Temprature: I find it to be on the warm side however I am always warm and its less warm than I am usually so it may be normal/cold to others? That probably wasnt helpful

Noise: It is a tad noisy with the heating/ac vents however its no more noisy that the campsites of old with people yelling at each other and ambient noise.

Showers: Power showers with none of the issues that plauged the old portable showers (gas bottle running out etc)

Toilets: Venue built in ones, fairly clean

0 Not allowed!
    The views above are mine and are highly unlikely to be sane or represent the views of multiplay

Steam Rush Evo
    Join the Steam community games group here

Also Athena.gg < Your source for official lan goodness

Attended/Attending - I42-I61
    Community Games Manager - I49 - I61

In the Indoor Camping Event Crew! BenDC092's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17
    As Ragonz said above it was fine

Staff Area was lovely, i found it to be fairly quiet, with the exception of the pub quiz and even then it wasn't as noisy as i expected it to be, We had HOT showers, that were fantastic that i experienced no problems with and were kept clean and tidy to a standard I've never seen before, very little use meaning i got my nice long hot showers before bed . I slept on a camp bed that was provided for staff, it was remotely comfortable and i got a fair amount of space to spread out which was nice. I took a regular sleeping bag and i wasn't all that cold, but i was sleeping under the air con, meaning i had to put-up with constant beeping, nothing some ear plugs couldn't fix.

The lights were turned off around about 11.30pm making it fairly dark but still pretty light from various lights outside and the light from inside the hall walking area. The NEC staff were on site and visible 24 Hours a day, making you feel safe and welcome, they were also up for a hell of a lot of banter and when i couldn't sleep one night even a night long chat. There were plugs freely available for use and people let each other borrow chargers and kept an eye on kit which made everyone feel their belongings were safe. It was a real community spirit.

I felt safe and secure the whole weekend and everyone i met was incredible friendly and welcoming. In the INDOOR CAMPING Area, i experienced no security problems and never did i ever feel uncomfertable or unsafe. I slept in the Staff area, yes, but it was segregated and right next door to the main area. Maybe it would be different there?.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but this was my first Insomnia and i wanted to write what i would of wanted to know before this weekend.

0 Not allowed!
    i56 i60 i61
    planned

The opinions expressed in the above post are those of the poster and they do not reflect in any way those of GAME or Multiplay.

"Event Volunteer" badge means i am a volunteer at Multiplay events, i have never worked for or been employed by Multiplay or GAME

Thumbs Up
    Received: 758
    Given: 374
    This is just what I wanted to know for next LAN.

I'm hoping it won't be heated next time, as I like a bit of fresh air and snuggle down into my sleeping bag to get warm.

Oh, and if I do come to i-next everybody better remember their earplugs! (I snore for England!).

Ouch!

0 Not allowed!
    [DVDF]Ouch!
    DVDF Drinking Team i29 i30 i33 i34 i35 i36 i37 i39 i40 i41 i42 i43 i44 SLAN i45 i47 SLAN i48Brrrr! MonsterSLAN i49 SLAN SLAN i51 SLAN i53-poohLAN SLAN i54 SLAN SLAN i55 SLAN SLAN SLAN SLAN SLAN SkyNet SLAN SLAN More to come
    i47 Tanks Champion

Thumbs Up
    Received: 519
    Given: 228
    There are some pics up if that helps: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mpuk/a...57662224795431

0 Not allowed!
    unspecified |UKCS| aka Unspec aka Spec
    Insomnia Volunteer/Crew (Blue Network Team // Yellow Tech Support Team Leader) // Stratlan Volunteer/Crew
    Insomnia: i43,i45,i46,i48,i49,i50,i51,i52,i53,i54,i55,i56,i57,i58,i59,i60,i61,i62
    StratLAN: 2016:Feb,Nov; 2017:Feb,Jun,Nov; 2018:Feb - Regionals: Scotland'16,'17; Ireland'16,'17

BYOC - Volunteer/Crew - Planned

[17:07] <niax> A dead body is fine to sit on helpdesk

The above gibberish was badly strung together by me and is unlikely to reflect the views of Multiplay/GAME/Insomnia or anyone else, living or dead.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Thanks all for replying

This gives me a better understanding. Still unsure as i tend to get warmer than most people, i can see myself getting extremely warm lol Building a fort does sound fun though lol

I take it no one leaves their stuff in the camp area? Especially if some don't have tents?

Are the desks more spaced out because the halls are bigger now? so you can take your bags with you to your desk?

0 Not allowed!
    Must play more games...no shiny distractions!
    https://twitter.com/Oukanna
    Next LAN will be awesome LAN...though every LAN will be an awesome LAN :D

Thumbs Up
    Received: 519
    Given: 228
    I didnt use the sleeping so not sure on that bit, but the desk spacing is basically the same as previous events. Central isles are a little wider though.

0 Not allowed!
    unspecified |UKCS| aka Unspec aka Spec
    Insomnia Volunteer/Crew (Blue Network Team // Yellow Tech Support Team Leader) // Stratlan Volunteer/Crew
    Insomnia: i43,i45,i46,i48,i49,i50,i51,i52,i53,i54,i55,i56,i57,i58,i59,i60,i61,i62
    StratLAN: 2016:Feb,Nov; 2017:Feb,Jun,Nov; 2018:Feb - Regionals: Scotland'16,'17; Ireland'16,'17

BYOC - Volunteer/Crew - Planned

[17:07] <niax> A dead body is fine to sit on helpdesk

The above gibberish was badly strung together by me and is unlikely to reflect the views of Multiplay/GAME/Insomnia or anyone else, living or dead.

In the Indoor Camping Event Crew! BenDC092's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17
    i left everything in the camping area, sleeping bag, clothes etc.. even my wallet at one point. was totally fine

0 Not allowed!
    i56 i60 i61
    planned

The opinions expressed in the above post are those of the poster and they do not reflect in any way those of GAME or Multiplay.

"Event Volunteer" badge means i am a volunteer at Multiplay events, i have never worked for or been employed by Multiplay or GAME

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information