PDA

View Full Version : CS & CS Retail - whats the difference

commodore
4th January 2002, 13:53
Hi all

We've just been having a discussion in the office that none of us can actually answer:

What exactly is the difference between the retail version of CounterStrike and the free dloanload version?

Anyone care to venture a comment?

Chris

sintax
4th January 2002, 17:26
as far as i know, the only difference is, with the retail version u get an option on the main menu for training, showing u how to play basically...
i know some of the patches for Cs are only for retail version, what this means i do not know :@)

no point in the retail version really... may as well just download it or l33ch it at an i-series off the FTP..

LordPhil
4th January 2002, 19:39
The diffrences are actually no good at all IMO. Firstly if I remember correctly with the retail you don't actually need HL, as it runs of it's own exec and files. (Shall check that). Secondly CS Retail is way way out of date. v1.0 I think, so you have to do some updating. Thirdley you do not get the full map pack with it. Only basic levels such as Dust and Assualt. No Dust2, no 747 etc.
Finally it has the wrong name for the weapons, like CK-74 or something **** like that.

Just download it m8, alot lot easier.

commodore
6th January 2002, 00:16
Originally posted by [SL]LordPhil
Firstly if I remember correctly with the retail you don't actually need HL, as it runs of it's own exec and files. (Shall check that). Thirdley you do not get the full map pack with it.
Finally it has the wrong name for the weapons, like CK-74 or something **** like that.

Which begs the question - what was the point in them even bothering to do it?

Just download it m8, alot lot easier.

I already have done. The only reason I wasked is that several of us at work bought the Half Life Generation pack which includes CS Retail, but only I have ever used it (And soon deleted it when I discovered it doesn't work properly with Gamespy), and none of us actually knew the difference between it and the doanload version that we all use.

Cheers
Chris

LordPhil
6th January 2002, 00:28
np mate. I have known many of my less technical friends buy it, and they haven't got a clue why it won't work. Damm thing is like a year out of date:(

Tim
9th January 2002, 12:01
BTW i bought HL gen. and CS came with it and it does NOT run of its own accord im sorry to say but apparently it does have extra features (not quite sure what they are yet) hmmm vexing

Hitori
13th January 2002, 18:37
cs retail isnt out of date, the patches are named v1.0.0.3 or sumit
you shouldnt need HL installed to run it, it has a separate game dir after all
you dont get all the maps, only bout 15/20
weapon names are wrong
just sit on your hands thru the 100mb dl :)

cork

Steadders
18th March 2002, 15:47
just face it corky, you dont have a clue do you?

Nunk
20th March 2002, 10:06
There isnt a difference between the mod version and the retail, perhaps the name of the main .exe and a few dlls are different :confused: but i got the retail becuase thats leaves my hl free to feck around with other mods and not worry about messing up the cs mod bit. Also i had to get the half life cd again, coz mine was feckered :)

The reason the retail version dont get all the maps is becuase valve dont own the maps and dont have the right to publish them in a retail package so they had to make a map pack for free download.

Zeuseh
31st March 2002, 20:38
u have to pay for the retail version and not the mod version :)

commodore
31st March 2002, 23:11
<Sarcasm>Well than you for that moment of wisdom and insight </Sarcasm>

Sheeesh, like lunatic drivers, they only come out on a Sunday!

Chris

D0c
1st April 2002, 07:53
I bought HL generation, and tbh I just leeched the full version off someone at strat5 because CS retail sucked so much. No compatability with any servers or anything :(